Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Week 6: ChiltonLibrary On-Line Automotive Repair


ChiltonLibrary.com includes thousands of year, make and model combinations covering the most popular vehicles of the past 30 years, plus additional coverage of specialty models; designed so you can service or repair virtually any system on your vehicle.  Get the detailed information you need to tackle vehicle maintenance and repairs. Some of Chilton Library's more popular features include:
  • Maintenance and specification tables that provide the unique data you need for each specific vehicle.
  • Step-by-step service and repair procedures, and labor estimating tool to help you confidently determine your next move.
  • Vacuum diagrams to simplify troubleshooting.
  • Wiring diagrams to help explain system operation.
  • Close-up photographs and illustrations for visual support.
  • ASE test prep quizzes for the most popular certification exams
  • A print button which allows you to easily print out what is needed.
Here's a link to a FAQ sheet for ChiltonLibrary click here.

Exercise:  Go to ChiltonLibrary and look up your car or a car that you are familiar with.  Can you find out how long it would take (the estimate) to replace a windshield?  Is there an estimate?


7 comments:

  1. No... but I found out how to replace it. It doesn't seem to a general "how long does this take".
    http://www.chiltonlibrary.com/ContentDelivery.aspx?ca=Repair#32499|38891

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found my car and a multitude of repair estimates but none for replacing the windshield, just different motors like for the wipers. I have shown a patron how to use Chilton's though and he was very happy- he's an independent auto mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Chilton. It would take 1 hour to replace the windshield wipers on a 2007 Honda Element.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked in the Labor Estimating tool and I couldn't find an option for windshields. I first looked for my car and then random cars and I couldn't find anything. I did learn that it would take 0.1 hours to change my wiper blades, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is the replacement path for replacing the windshield on my car

    PATH: Body > Exterior > Window / Glass > Windshield Glass > Installation (2009 Corolla From 12/2007)

    But that similar path doesn't lead to a labor estimating cost for the windshield glass only the wipers. I know that to replace the windshield in my car is about 2.5 hours waiting for all the glues to dry. I think the wait time is a guestimate which is why the database won't commit to a time. Now as for the wiperblades that time is totally overestimated. It only takes about 5 minutes to replace wiper blades, and the database says 1 hour! REALLY! How special are those blades?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way Chilton's is organized! I looked under Repair > Body > Exterior > Windshield > Removal & Installation > Windshield Glass and found this advice: "There are two main reasons why replacement windshields and other window glass should be installed only by a professional automotive glass technician: safety and cost." So I will not be attempting to replace the windshield on my 1993 Volvo 240 anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thevaki
    2001 Honda Civic - .4 OEM hrs OR .6 Regular hrs

    ReplyDelete